Wow, an award! I'm so flattered! I know it's just a "virtual" award, but still... how cool! Kristine at Beangirl: The Blog is a sweetheart and one of the funniest people you'll ever chat with on the internet. Apparently, all people named "Kristine" are creative, smart, talented, and funny... who knew? ;)
So, I am supposed to tell you 10 things about me that you would never guess, and nominate 5 more bloggers to do the same. Since Kristine described me as "one of those seemingly ordinary people who secretly is wild and exciting. And if we get her to tell us about it, we’ll be entertained", I feel a little nervous about letting you down. Here goes... I hope I don't disappoint you!
1. I am the youngest of 9, and almost never came to be. In 1973, my mom was told that she had a "fibroid tumor" and needed a hysterectomy. Luckily, my parents believed in second opinions, and in January of 1974, I was born. Their marraige that lasted 57 years, produced 9 kids, 16 grandkids, and 9 great grandkids. It's a little like having 8 sets of parents sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
2. My husband planned the world's greatest engagement. I was surprised with a hot air balloon ride and a beautiful diamond ring 4 years to the day we had our first kiss. I am very lucky to have such a romantic husband, and I am thankful for him and our life together every single day. Awww.....
3. My most embarrassing moment happened when I was a teenager, shopping at the mall with my sister and her husband. I wasn't paying very close attention apparently, and as I was walking through the racks looking down, saw him holding a bag. I pulled it open, looked inside, and said, "I thought you didn't buy anything?" Much to my surprise (and his), I was staring at a total stranger wearing a very similar denim jacket to my brother-in-law's. Oops. I looked around, and saw my sister looking at me like, "What the hell are you doing???". Thankfully the guy figured I was a harmless (and confused) teenager.
4. My sewing helped win me some scholarship money for college. In my application, I included pictures of the homecoming dresses and outfits I'd made as a "young entrepeneur" running a dressmaking business out of her bedroom, and I won $1500 towards college expenses. Thank you, Rochester Area Jaycees!
5. I love to dance, and love rap music. Whether I'm sewing or cleaning my kitchen, you will find me dancing to Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas, the Beastie Boys, Eminem, Kid Rock, Missy Elliott, Sean Kingston, Madonna... you name it, I'll dance to it. You know those freaky people at weddings that spend the whole night on the dance floor? Yup, that's me. I'm gonna be the old grandma at the party shakin' it with the grandkids!
6. I have 2 addictions: chocolate and coffee. Seems like I can't through a day without either. Never smoked, never did drugs... (I'm letting you down about the wild and exciting stuff, aren't I? Darn it!), but I can't start a day without coffee, and if it's not going well, the chocolate had better be within reach!!!
7. Phew, that was a close one. Just deleted what I was going to divulge, but decided against it! You'd never come back to my blog again! So I texted my friend for an idea and she said, "Tell them that you have such beautiful handwriting, I asked you to address all of my wedding invites." It's true, she did. I do get complimented on it quite frequently, and always tried to emulate my mother's handwriting. 12 years of Catholic school... now she had gorgeous handwriting!
8. In the next year, I am considering either getting a tattoo or plastic surgery. Ooh... just stepped it up a notch there, didn't I? So much for "ordinary Kristine", Kristine! The tattoo would be on the top of my foot, and incorporate my family's initials. And as for the plastic surgery... I'll just say that breastfeeding 2 kids wasn't kind to me.
9. Here's another good one from the "texting friend". She's said to tell you that I have flawless skin. Flawless. And I can say that because I'm just quoting someone, right? (Note to self: get Cara a really great birthday gift this year.) And most of you wouldn't know that "fact" about me, since I've only ever met Ann, Meg, Joanne, Alethia, and Beth! None of you need to verify this "fact". Really. No need.
10. I went to a psychic/medium this year, and it was amazing. She relayed names of family members, conversations, and health issues that no one else could possible know. She asked what I really wanted to be doing (apparently teaching math isn't my lifelong dream), and said she saw me in a big city like New York or Chicago, doing window displays or something similar. She recommended I give consideration to combining my two skills, and look into teaching people how to sew. Food for thought...
Now that I've bored you into a deep sleep (see, I really am not wild), it's your turn. The 5 people (oops, 6... who's counting?) I am tagging are...
- Kristin at VeryPrairie because she takes the most beautiful pictures of the most fashionable garments, and has mad skills. I would love to see her post more often because she is so inspiring, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her backstage at the Expo again this year!
- Rebecca at UglyCute Designs because she's sweet enough to recognize every single new follower and she's new around the sewing blogosphere, so go check her out!
- Robin at Yarn Crawl because she just got back from a day trip fabric shopping in NYC (a daytrip. Seriously. Who does that?) and knits the most gorgeous sweaters in no time flat. I'm also gonna see her backstage in Novi again, yay!
- Bunny at La Sewista! because she was the first person to ever comment on my blog, and has continued to offer me her support, advice, and friendship. I desperately hope to meet her someday soon, as I feel like she is that funny aunt that always knows a dirty joke, but you're still ashamed to swear in front of.
- Dawn at Two On, Two Off because I desperately miss her posts. We both teach teenagers, have kids the same age at home, and love to sew the same types of garments and fabrics. The quickness and quality of her sewing projects have always floored me and sometimes I find myself thinking, "Look at me! Got a whole dress made today, I'm pulling a "Dawn"!"
- Michelle at Cheap and Picky because we really are friends that chat on a weekly basis. I love her sense of humor and her attention to detail makes my head spin. I know you're busy with your classes, but I really am looking forward to your 10 things...
- If you feel like sharing, but didn't get tagged here, go ahead and do it anyway. Like there's any governing body that's gonna stop you!? Looking forward to seeing all of your responses and getting to know you all better!