Monday, October 6, 2008

No, I haven't fallen of the face of the Earth!

Here's a little peek of my progress with the Macy's Homecoming dress...
If you missed the earlier post, I've been contracted to copy a dress for the 9th grade daughter of a colleague. The original was exactly what they wanted in style, fit, and design, but was not the most pleasing shade of green. So, I'm recreating it in dusty purple. This is my first attempt at copying RTW, and it's been 15 years since I did formal wear. I'm using 2 different McCalls patterns, one for the bodice, and the other for the underskirt (bias cut), and self-drafted the chiffon over skirt.
Still to do: install the invisible zipper, finish upper bodice edge (bias cut satin of underskirt), heat fix Swarovski crystals to the lace bodice, make and attach spaghetti straps, and hem.
I'm just buried alive under the papers to grade (did I mention 35 students x 5 classes each day), the almost finished dress, and the Fire Department Embroidery order (13 knit caps and 5 sweatshirts). Oh yeah, don't forget the doggie sweatshirt Halloween costume and the witch Halloween costume (thank God I have 3 more weeks). I have Parent Teacher conferences tomorrow after school, the Homecoming dress must be done for the dance this Saturday...

Ever wish you had the super hero ability to stop time, but keep moving forward yourself????

Anyhow, I miss you all (school computers have now blocked all blog sites, so no peeking at work anymore), and will post lots of pics in the coming days of both the green original dress and my finished product, inside and out! Keep your fingers crossed for me, I need all the prayers I can get!

5 comments:

Dana said...

That's waaaay too many students! I thought I had a lot because one of my classes listed 45 (many don't show up and the total enrolled is now closer to 35) and I didn't even reach 100. And you have to grade papers too? Yuk. Well, I mean yuk that it all takes so much valuable sewing time. I visited PR and blogs through PR one too many times last year and now that's blocked for me too. I can so relate to your life LOL!
Good luck with the homecoming dress, it looks beautiful!

Laura said...

Ooohhh...I love the dress and the color!

Salinda said...

i wondered where you were. it seems like this school year has run slap over us. i can't believe we finish a nine weeks on friday!!!!

the dress looks lovely. good luck finishing it.

Meg said...

Nice work so far! Me too, expecting my office to block blogs any day now. Bummer.

angie.a said...

Pretty dress!

Our school blocked blogger last year. I think I had a real tear even. :D