I wanted to model my version after the Ralph Lauren version, and I think I did... okay. The buckle closures were different than I expected (shorter than I wanted), and I decided to keep the front on a fold (with a side invisible zipper), rather than make a front fly zipper opening. Also, I redrafted the Burda pattern pieces for the front waistband. When I muslined it to check the fit, I was unhappy with the roundedness of the front waistband piece. I really wanted a flatter seamline (like the Ralph Lauren version), so I redrafted it and like it so much better! ETA: BeeBee asked how I finished the inside, so I thought I should mention that I skipped the facings, and cut another set of waistband pieces. Once the zipper was in, I put the waistbands right sides together, stitched the top seam (and stabilized with a strip of ribbon to prevent stretching), and turned it to the inside. I folded the seam allowance under, and handstitched it down on the inside.
The fabric is black stretch cotton sateen from Haberman Fabrics. The buckle closures are from M & J Trimming in NYC (I bought online), and I'm glad I did. Even Haberman's had nothing remotely close to these. Yes, that is scotch tape holding them in place. I couldn't pin them down, but needed them to stay put!
As I was changing the needle to attach these, I broke my Viking. I was tightening the screw to clamp the new leather needle in place, and overtightened. CRACK! I thought Vikings were supposed to be indestructable??? The ring piece is cracked and the screw just spins in place now. Good thing my vintage White was ready to get the job done!
And you haven't seen me modeling the leopard print blouse, another Burda pattern... 01/10, #129. I wore it to work last week and it was well received! I really like it with the pencil skirt, and it still works with it untucked and belted! The drawstring opening takes some getting used to, but it's comfy and fun to wear.
In other sewing news... I've got another 20 shirts to embroider, and the prom dress to start. I've got to get the muslin done this week, as we are fabric shopping for it next Saturday. Martha (the 1926 White) will get me through, and hopefully my Viking will be repaired (and ready to sew the fussy new fabrics) later this week. Then I'd love to whip up a couple knit dresses and a muslin for the Vogue jacket...
The weather forecast is predicting another 8" of snow for tomorrow/Tuesday, so I'm hoping for another snow/sew day!!!