Saturday, August 30, 2014

Beach Reception Dresses


What an honor and privilege to make these dresses! As I'd said in this earlier post, L's beach reception was casual, so she wasn't looking for the typical white "beach wedding" dress. Her requests included...
1. A chevron print fabric paired with a solid.
2. A halter top.
3. A high/low skirt.


Check, check, and check!
Patterns: 8470 (bodice) and 8870 (skirt)
Fabrics: Silk Faille Chevron from Spoonflower, and Yellow silk/cotton and lining (poly taffeta) from Haberman Fabrics.
Modifications: I had to adjust the skirt pattern at the waist to eliminate the gathers. If I had to do over again, I think I'd prefer to increase the fullness of the skirt, though. I took about 3" off the back length of the skirt, as L is quite petite, and also shortened the center front of the skirt by about 2".

Once the fabric was ordered and purchased, I was able to see that I'd have enough to make her daughter a coordinating look. How perfect!


Little Miss A's dress used the chevron on the top and the solid yellow for the skirt. I considered adding a sash, but L loved it just this way! I think Little Miss A loved it, too! Butterick 3350 is the pattern I used, which goes together very quickly and easily!


When everything was said and done, the girls loved their dresses and I loved making them. I've known L since she was a sweet little 9th grader, so seeing her grow up and become an amazing woman (with a beautiful family) has been a pleasure. Making these dresses was just the icing on the cake.

Congratulations and Best Wishes!!!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

How much fun is that? I love the yellow colors and the chevron fabric! I love that you made a little dress too.

Kyle said...

I love non-traditional wedding dresses, AND your post coordinates well with this week's Project Runway!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What an awesome and unique wedding dress. I love that it speaks to her personality.

Gail said...

The dress came out beautifully. I would like to get my hands on some black and white chevron fabric. Any clues?