Saturday, January 19, 2019

Living Coral Cardigan (Part 2)

Can I tell you... if I had another day (and a much less demanding week at work), this cardigan would've been absolutely phenomenal! So, I'll just have to settle for "pretty darn cute"!

The pattern is a definite winner: McCalls 7254. I will be pulling out this "5 piece wonder" again, as it went together so very quickly! My only wish: pockets. Isn't that always our wish in garments? LOL...
Anyhow, it was looking rather plain (aka "boring"), and that picture of Kacey Musgraves in a jacket with decorated lapels kept bugging me. I had the inner argument with myself for a few days as I played with embellishing the lapels... Too much? Not enough? Too weird? Not "living coral" enough?
After playing with multiple coral scrap fabrics, I settled on an ombre coral chiffon I bought a LONG time ago. I figured that the ombre would be perfect for a flower, making some "petals" darker and others lighter. But, what kind of flower do I make? How do I make a fabric flower? Should it be flat or 3D?
Dark basement, sorry... but, YIKES! Too big.
My first attempt looked too much like a flower brooch... so, back to the drawing board. I got out some gold embroidery thread I had, threaded a needle and started placing running stitches in the curly "wave" pattern in the fabric. Oooh, I like that!
Ok, how about the other side, too? This is actually working! A lapel embellishment that ties into the fabric... a harmonious design detail! I tried another flower design (smaller and no raw edge), and stitched a few pearls inside it. Pin it on the lapel, and...
Happy Dance! This is working!!! Still looks a little flat, it needs more dimension. What if I add a few of the same pearl beads into the curly-wave stitching...

Yeah, that's cool. I like it!!!  Oh, and... WAVES + PEARLS + CORAL... I'm just nailing this competition thing, right?! LOL... Now, if I had more time (and a less demanding week at the "full time job", I would've continued the stitching and pearls a little further down the lapel and also done some on the sleeves. But, the contest deadline was looming and I needed to do the photo shoot!
 So, in the end... I have a blue cardigan that is inspired by "Living Coral" (and Kacey Musgraves)! I think it works, not only as a "color story", but considering the descriptions of the "Golden Hour" album and the "Living Coral" color, too. "Energizes and enlivens with a softer edge" accurately describes my cardigan, the music, and the color "living coral", so I'm pretty proud of myself and my new garment. I will wear it happily, with pride that I was given a challenge which I met in a very creative and honest way, using materials and supplies that I already had on hand. Not bad, if I do say so myself! I'll find out Jan. 23 if the judges agree with me! Fingers crossed... but, I'll be happy to just make it to the next round of the contest! I've really enjoyed reading different people's inspiration explanations, and am amazed by how differently everyone reacts to the color, the coral, and the description.
*Disclaimer: Sorry about the dark basement pictures. It's so difficult to capture colors accurately in my sewing cave. The outdoor pics capture the colors accurately!

6 comments:

Patty said...

Cute cardigan.....and it looks like you had fun with the challenge!

L said...

Your cardigan is nice, Kristine! Although time was running, I think less is more here. Fingers crossed for round 2. =)

glorm said...

The cardigan is lovely. Yes, good luck with Round 2. :)

CTNBEE said...

I like this stylization. A very nice combination of colors. All your styling is very cool and everything fits together. I'm glad that I found your blog. And, of course cardigan is amazing!

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allard said...

I'm really inspired by your Living Coral Cardigan! The McCalls 7254 "sewing patterns" seems like a winner, and your embellishments on the lapels are a brilliant addition. The cardigan truly captures the essence of 'Living Coral'!