Wednesday, July 1, 2009

American Sewing Expo 2009

For anyone interested, here is as much information as I have on this year's expo, being held at the Rock Financial Showplace in Novi, Michigan from September 25-27. This will be my 3rd year attending, and I'm sure it will be quite a learning (and shopping) experience, as usual!

I usually spend one (very long) day at the show, taking 4-6 classes, watching demonstrations, and shopping the vendors. Last year, my classes covered machine embroidery, working with leather, reconstructing denim, creating your own fabric (stamping/painting/texture) and pattern software. You'll see from the registration brochure that there are hundreds of classes offered on all sewing topics: fitting, quilting, garment construction, home dec, weaving, knitting/crochet, embroidery, embellishment...

The vendor floor is amazing, with lots more than just fabric and sewing machines for sale. There are a good number of quilt booths, but many more that offer various notions and services. You can test drive any machine or software you've ever dreamed of, watch designers construct garments for the "Passion for Fashion" contest, and many booths offer free make-and-takes and there are also 3 Free Demo stages where classes run all day long. The first year I went, I met and chatted with Chloe Dao (Season 2 Project Runway) and last year's denim reconstruction class was given by Carmen Webber (Season 4 Project Runway). Kenneth King's class sold out in the first 10 minutes that registration was open, so I missed that one!

This year a new contest is being held with Pattern Review to make your own version of the one of the Top 10 Patterns of 2009, with the grand prize of $1000! Vogue 8379, here I come!

So, if you're in the area and planning on attending, I hope this information is helpful, and please leave a comment so we can meet up for lunch at the expo! I usually squeeze all I can into one day, but this year I might beg DH for two...

This is the website for the expo. When you click on the brochure picture on that website, it will open and you can see all the classes being offered. Admission is $12, and class cost starts at $14 per session. All day classes are $98, but considering the level of expertise of the instructors (Koos van den Akker, Connie Crawford, Kenneth King, Pati Palmer, Sandra Betzina...) that very worthwhile! Registration opens July 21 at 9:00am, and if you're interested in a "Big Name" session, you'd better be clicking away not a moment later!
Here are the Top 10 Patterns of 2008 at Pattern Review. Vogue 8379 is already in my stash, and I'm always up for a challenge (that may net me some cash and cover my spending at the show)!!!

3 comments:

gwensews said...

I'm looking forward to Expo. I'd like to take a couple of seminars with Kenneth King.

BeeBee said...

Hmmmm, I may just happen to be visiting my son that weekend.... I'll let you know. Are you planning on posting this over on PR? I know I'll keep up with it better over there.
And Gwen, not if I click there first...

angie.a said...

Ooh I'd love to go to the expo. I've been toying with entering the contest too. Especially since the time frame is suited to my summer vacay! :D