Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Weight-loss Wednesday

Three weeks ago I jumped back on the weight-loss bandwagon than I've fallen off of repeatedly.  Usually, I can manage to hang on for about 2 weeks before we hit a bump in the road and I get dumped in the dirt again.  This time, I'm sitting in the center of the wagon and have DH anchored in with me, so we are less likely to get tossed off!  I reached an all time high weight that I'm not quite sure how I reached, but I don't want to stay here.

Why am I telling you this? What does this have to do with sewing?

I'm telling you because making a public declaration means I'm really gonna put up a fight to report back with good news (like, I haven't touched chocolate or soda pop in 3 weeks)! You've seen me try this before (aka The No-Sewing-Until-I've-Exercised-Plan, epic FAIL), so I'm hoping I won't let you down this time.

Sewing Connection: I'm already down one pattern size in the bottom!  One of my favorite skirts has been too tight to wear, but I've really been wanting to make another, but refused to re-draft it larger.  I slipped it on yesterday and zipped it up, no problem!  The new version will be ready to show you later this week!

I found a paper where I had written my measurements this past November.  Between just my waist and hips, I've lost 7 inches.  That's 5 pounds and 7 inches gone.  Hopefully, forever!

I mentioned that DH is taking this journey with me, which I am so thankful for.  Fighting the bulge together will mean that we'll be able to lean on each other, encourage each other, and applaud each other.  I've got the man eating yogurt, granola, carrots & celery, and brown rice.  Holy crap! Now that's dedication!!!  He lost 8 pounds last week, so once he saw that, he's was all-in!

The plan we're following is the Logical Healthy Plan.
1.  Drink more water.
2.  Get more exercise.
3.  Eat healthy food.

No Atkins, no Weight Watchers.  We are using the free Spark People website to track our nutritional goals (calories, carbs, fat, protein), so that's really taking a lot of guess work out of it.  I've set a goal of 25 pounds lost by the 4th of July, but really, I just want to feel better about myself.  I want to be able to run with the kids, and set a good example for them.  I want to make beautiful (skinny) clothes and fit in my old favorites still in my closet.  I want to be able to run (and like it) and bike for miles with my family and friends.

So, I will take Wednesday of each week to update you on our weight-loss journey.  I know it has nothing to do with sewing, but... too bad.  If you don't care, don't read it.  But I know that I've got the perfect fabric for a Cynthia Rowley dress, and if I can make it a size smaller now than I would've a month ago, that's a really cool thing happening in my sewing space!  And DH is taking me out to show it off when it's done, so that's an even cooler thing!

19 comments:

Karin said...

I am happy to read about your weight loss and I'll be rooting for you! I lost some weight over the last 6 months and am now finding it difficult to shift the last third I need to lose, so I can use all the tips, hints and inspiration you can throw at me!

KID, MD said...

That's awesome!

Patty said...

You go, girl! Sounds like you want a more healthy lifestyle, and that will drive your weight loss program. And how cool that your husband is coming along, you will both feel so much better!
Can't wait to see you in that Cynthia Rowley dress :-)!

martaz said...

Good luck and congratulations on your success so far!

Kim said...

DH and I are doing a weightloss "challenge" between us. Winner gets his/her choice of prizes. Mine are a new pair of designer shoes, his is a camera lens. The competition has been fun so far. We made our goals by percentage so it was fair. I'm down about 9 pounds and he's down about 12 since March 1. Nothing like a good friendly rivalry to keep you motivated. We also have instituted one cheat day where we go out to dinner and don't count calories. It's great for the mental part. Good luck!

Beangirl said...

Awesome!! I totally believe that weightloss can be fueled by sewing. Because like I always say, even the best-altered pattern can only do so much. If wanting to make new clothes motivates us, then I say we go!

Saying that, I think I'm going to find your Wednesdays a little depressing because holy moly! 7 inches in five pounds! In three weeks! Man. You are too amazing. I'm totally jealous of your ability to... uh, you know, work hard and get results. ;-)

Elaray said...

Fantastic! I've also started on a weight loss journey, but Im not really thinking in terms of pounds lost. Like you, I'm making simple changes like exercising more (as a matter of fact, I just finished my workout before getting sucked in by the computer!) and making healthy food choices. My focus is on healthy habits more than actual pounds lost, although lost pounds should follow. Your Weight-loss Wednesday posts will inspire me!!!

amber said...

Can I nominate myself as your personal cheerleader? :) I think it's great that you and your husband are doing this together. Being in the middle of my own fitness program right now, I can totally appreciate everything you've said in this post. I find it amazing how much difference just a small amount of weight loss can make - both physically and mentally. While I'm now using a different tracking program that works with the exerspy device, I used SparkPeople for awhile and loved it. It's such a great resource and so nice that it's free.

I'll be here on the sidelines rooting you on m'dear!! :)

Julia said...

Way to go! Check out my Fat Fighting Fridays posts.

Maryissewfast said...

Good for you!!! We are all pulling for you!!!

LisaB said...

I'm glad you posted to let us know. It's encouraging to know of others trying to regain control of this area of life.

Turning healthy choices into lifetime habits will go a long way.

I'm cheering you on!

Marybeth said...

Hi, Kristine! I just discovered Spark People myself. Are you going to post every Wednesday? If so, can I tag along and do the same? I have quite a bit more weight to lose than you do and I've been thinking about blogging about it...

Sherril said...

How wonderful that your DH is doing this with you. I've been on my own weight loss journey but my DH is already too thin so I have to go it alone. You've got some very admirable goals, I wish you good luck.It'll be July 4th before you know it.

Anonymous said...

way to go!!!! I have recently lost 13 pounds and feel so much better 15 more to go. I hit a lull in my sewing because everything i made looked awful on me. That gives me the motivation to keep going. 10 more pounds and I'm going to make that cute Vogue dress that i;ve wanted. You are an inspiration!

gwensews said...

Congratulations! I know how difficult it is to stay focused. Wishing you and your hubby much success!

Bunny said...

Good luck on your journey. It so helps to have a spouse on the same page. I jumped on last summer when DH had some Dr. ordered life changes to make. We actually really enjoyed working on the food part together and LOVED all the walking we did. I sure wish I had the free time to do 5-6 miles a day of brisk walking. It is so fun when you share it with someone you love, so much easier too. It did us both a lot of good.

I know you and DH will be the envy of the firehouse before long. Looking forward to those Wednesday updates. Don't kid yourself, weight has everything to do with sewing. We have to make it fit, right?

JoanneM said...

Add this:- if you don't eat after 7 pm, brush your teeth straight after dinner, it is excellent for managing weight. You sleep better because you aren't full.
Night time snacking is my downfall. I have been so good the last 3 weeks, I really think I could live with this credo.
I also don't drink tea/water after 7pm. This is really hard since I drink so much tea each day. Once again, I sleep better.
I will never give up chocolate. Never. Ever.

gMarie said...

I've been doing this too. I did fabulously the first week - then life hit me hard. I'm having a hard time getting back on track. In fact, I didn't even log into Spark today.

Thanks for sharing and good luck. g

melissa said...

Oooh SparkPeople is a WONDERFUL site! A couple of years ago I usd them to love 50+ pounds over 9 months, and I kept all of it off for over two years until I got seriously ill. I'm still only a few pounds up over my goal, but my eating and exercise habits have changed for good so I know it's a straightforward thing to lose it again.

You've made such the right decision to go with SP, it's all about healthy habits!