Monday, September 6, 2010

Vogue 1183: Kay Unger Dress

Vogue 1183
Pattern:  This Kay Unger pattern caught my attention as soon as it was released, with it's clean lines and elegant simplicity.  I had cut it in the spring to the size 16, whose finished garment measurements were the closest to mine.  Either I haven't correctly measured myself, or the pattern runs big... I ended up taking it in quite a bit.
Fabric:  A stretch cotton from Haberman Fabrics.  I purchased it last summer (maybe the summer before that?), and couldn't find the right pattern to work with it's texture (like a raised linen) and it's also slightly sheer.  So, I lined it with ivory china silk from Gorgeous Fabrics.  If you've never lined with china silk before, you must... it's so soft against your skin!  Slightly more expensive, but it's worth it.  You're worth it!
Here's the inside of the bodice, showing the china silk.  The same pieces are used for the lining as the outside, but no topstitching.  You can also see here how I machine stitched the opening along the topstitching line to prevent gaping.

Alterations:   Like I said, it runs a little bit big.  I highly recommend making a muslin first, as all the topstitching ended up not quite matching when I took it in along the side seams (about 1/2" on each side).  I also took the back in about 3/8" from the neckline to the hip.
Notions:   The topstitching requires a good matching thread, a twin needle (optional) and you'll also need a 20" invisible zipper.  I used a single needle for the topstitching, but wish I used the twin.  Just a tad bit more RTW, but I'm okay with the final look.
Skill Level:   High Intermediate to Advanced.  Somewhere around "attaching the lining" I got totally confused in the instructions.  Don't ask me how, it's Vogue (not Burda), but I ended up doing it my own way.  The bodice is lined first, so I managed to completely construct the dress (with the bodice lined), and fitted it with the zipper inserted, then attached the skirt lining. Like I said, don't ask me...
Vented at the hem center back

Warnings:   Be sure about the fit!!! Sharon is also working on the same pattern currently, and also ran into the same "fitting issues" after the topstitching was done.  However, she is far, far, far more patient than I, and ripped out the stitching to fix it properly.  Me? Not so much.
Future Plans:   It's a great dress, and now that I know exactly how it'll fit me, I'd love to do another version in a solid.  But, being sleeveless, I don't know about the timing on that, with fall rapidly approaching here!
Question:  Too form fitting for the classroom?  I head back to work tomorrow and was thinking about wearing this later this week.  But, what are your thoughts? Maybe better with a cardi or jacket?

30 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Very pretty dress on you, especially the color. Love it!

Summerset said...

Excellent dress and nice fit. I would definitely pair it will a jacket or cardigan for the classroom, since this is a such a great neutral color, you could have a ton of fun with cardis, jackets, jewelry and shoes. You could go casual or dressy very easily with this style.

Aminat said...

Lovely, the dress looks so stunning on you....

a little sewing said...

Gorgeous Little White Dress. I agree with Summerset - you can dress this up or down and I bet you'll get a lot of wear from it.
You are quite inspiring - you are looking fit as a fiddle.

Lori said...

You look fantastic in your new dress. I agree with Summerset, a cardigan or jacket and the dress is perfect for the classroom.

KID, MD said...

Fabulous!! You and the dress!! I think it would be great for school with a cardi or jacket, particularly in a bright eye-popping color.

Faye Lewis said...

I've been in love with that pattern since first seeing it too. Had to wait on it a bit, because they sold out so fast. Love the way it looks on you.

HeathersSphere said...

I adore this dress on you! I cannot wait to your next version!

Marybeth said...

Kristine - you look gorgeous in this dress!

Meg said...

Awesome! Do you mind having high school boys drool over you? Then skip the sweater. :)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is very pretty! And I think you would look great wearing this dress to school with a cardi!

Ann Made Studio said...

Beautiful dress! You look great and it would be perfect for school.

Gail said...

OMG Kristy you look stunning! I'd look to see this dress in red or grey wool as a tunic with a black long sleeved top or sweater under.

Mary said...

It's a beautiful dress and you look fantastic in it. um, I disagree with wearing it to school. I taught for 30 years, and my style is a bit more casual..I would feel too sexy trying to teach math in that dress. YMMV

gwensews said...

What a pretty dress. That pattern would also be a nice LBD or red for the holidays!

Debbie Cook said...

Love it! I think it's fine for the classroom, as is. With a cardi or jacket when you're cold.

Cissie said...

Great dress! Glad to know about the fitting issues since this is on my list to finish before winter arrives.

Heather said...

Yowza! That is a gorgeous dress and it looks fab.u.lous on you! I don't know what age you teach but I can see older boys being a bit distracted...LOL! It would be super cute with a cardi!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big in Japan said...

Yep, you look mahvalous! If you do wear it to school, don't bump up against the white board covered in math formulas!

Curious, is the china silk easy to work with? I can't tell from the photo its slipperiness factor.

Margaret said...

Beautiful dress. It is wonderfully made. Tomorrow I will start my cut back on food and exercise more so I can feel , look and sleep better. I read your blogs when you were losing weight and I will try too. Hope I will succeed too because you are my inspiration and motivation. Thanks again for your blogs.

Angela said...

It fits you wonderfully! I think it would be perfect for work and it would look great under a cardi or jacket.

Anonymous said...

This dress is so beautiful. From the pictures, the fit does not look off at all. If you pair it with a longer cardigan, could you wear it to work?

Also, just wanted to say that you look really, really great! You were beautiful before you lost some of the weight you worked so hard at, but, goodness, you just look amazing now. I agree w/ another commenter that it's really inpsiring!

Shellie said...

Beautiful! you did an amazing job :)

PS I've had the same issues with other Vogue dress patterns being way too big - what a pain!

robin said...

You look AMAZING in this dress!! I have this pattern and really really really want to make it now that I see yours. You definitely look like you've lost weight as well!

meredithp said...

You look great in this dress. I've admired this one since it was on the cover of the pattern magazine. As far as wearing it to school, the practical side of me rears it's head. Granted, I've not been in a classroom in forever, but even in a normal office situation, that beautiful dress would be filthy by the end of the day.

Sharon Sews said...

I know! Isn't it a pain to do that topstitching and then realize it doesn't fit properly!

Yours turned out beautifully. Mine is done too. It's been done but it's been so cold I don't want to bare my arms to take photos! Maybe this weekend.

You look AMAZING in this dress - great job.

ARIEL said...

Great work on the dress! I have had fitting issues with the last two vogue patterns I've sewn. My measurements match the size 14 exactly, but I ended up taking in both garments.

SEWN said...

Great dress! I bought this pattern but wasn't sure about it. Thanks for all the tips!

amber said...

Well hello there sexy mama! This is such a kick ass dress!! :) I think that you can definitely wear it to school topped with a cardi or a jacket, but please promise us that you'll also take it for a spin on a date night with the hubby. And then, you know, leave the cardi at home, but keep the sexy shoes. ;)