McCalls 9377, (c)1953 Fabric: 1.75 yd cashmere from Haberman Fabrics (58" wide) Lining: China Silk, 1 yd (58" wide), Fashion Fabrics Club Interfacing: Fashion Sewing Supply, Pro-Weft Lightweight fusible, charcoal black Buttons: Three 1" buttons, La Mode, Joann's
Modifications were more plentiful than originally expected! 1. Sizing: I opened up the back darts completely, and let out about half of the front dart to give myself enough room in the waist. I wish I had added an inch or two in length also, but am still very happy with the final product!
2. Lining: I cut the china silk to about 1.5" below the waistline, knowing that the facing pieces would attach above and hide the raw edges. I put the cashmere layer and lining layer wrong sides together, and treated it as a single unit from that point on.
3. Modernization: I rounded the center front hem line out and added faux pocket flaps to match the look of more current blazers. I used the Vogue 8679 for the shaping and the flaps.
4. Finishing touches: I serged the facing edges instead of applying binding, to finish the edge and prevent fraying. I used stitched keyhole buttonholes instead of bound buttonholes to reduce bulk.
In conclusion, this garment was the most involved vintage pattern I've worked with. While it wasn't "perfect for me" right out of the envelope, I made it exactly what I wanted, and am really happy with the final product. Being a wardrobe staple, I'm sure it will get lots of use.