Monday, February 27, 2012

Ruby Winner!

This has been done for a week, I just needed to find the right belt to wear with it! A nice easy project while I waited for my supplies to arrive for the vintage cashmere jacket...


Vogue 8663


Fabric: Ruby Double Knit from Emma One Sock. 2 yds. I wore this to work today and I got so many compliments! It's funny... now that everyone knows I sew, I get specific compliments like, "I like the neckline! I like the color!" The color was probably what garnered the most comments!


I made the size 14, and eliminated the zipper. It slides on easily, and is still fitted in the waist. I used my serger throughout the dress, but made sure to zig-zag and serger that waist seam, to allow stretch. Construction was super simple, with just 5 pattern pieces (2 skirt, 2 bodice, 1 sleeve) and no facings. I used single fold bias tape to finish the neckline, and a blind stitch to hem the sleeves and skirt. The neckline pleats were easy enough, except the center front one took a little extra work. No biggie.


You'll have to excuse the blurry pics. It was a crazy morning, so Little Miss Princess did these for me after a long day at school. I wore my black booties and the belt is new, just got it from Kohl's yesterday! All in all, I'd definitely recommend this pattern. I'm sure that if I did it again in a few months, in a print, without the sleeves, no one would ever know it was the same pattern! As for the jacket, it's coming along very nicely. The lining is nearly done, and should be installed tonight. I need to recut the center front hem curve, and attach the facings. Shouldn't be too much longer...

17 comments:

Kris C. said...

It looks great! (And so do you!) Note to self, buy the pattern, and get back on board the exercise train....

Unknown said...

Pretty! I really like the neckline--it's very special.

Sue S said...

You look amazing in this dress. The style and the color both suit you so well.

Texan said...

Lovely and a great fit!

Tee said...

Very, very pretty!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is a great dress on you!

SueC56 said...

Love the color AND the fit!

Elaray said...

Very pretty! The color looks good on you .

angie.a said...

Gorgeous! I do love that color, it looks fab on you!

Gorgeous Things said...

You look gorgeous!! And thanks to you, that pattern just jumped into my cart. Good thing they're having a Club BMV sale today, since it had a bunch of company. :)
(NAYY of course)

Sara Noemi said...

this is lovely! it's so nice that your coworkers are encouraging, too!

sewingkm said...

Cute dress and you look so slim and trim! Can't wait to see the finished jacket.

Amanda S. said...

Very pretty and lovely color on you.

Laurie said...

Very beautifully done!

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail said...

Definitely a winner. love the colour for you.

Jody said...

Wow, It looks so expensive! Beautifully done!