Monday, January 21, 2013

Properly Python




Vogue 8865


I like the illustration so much better than this model photo they use on the website. I'm so turned off by the look as a whole, that I ignore the jacket and move on... but, wait! This jacket is a great wardrobe staple! It has those clean "Chanel" lines, with a nipped in waist. No pockets and no closures, so this is a great pattern for a fabric that needs to speak for itself, but it okay with getting split into smaller pieces. Look at the line drawing in the pattern and see for yourself...
 I used about a yard and 2/3 of this fabulous cotton blend that I bought a few years ago at Haberman Fabrics in Royal Oak, Michigan. I think I bought 3 yards (if I remember correctly, it was only about $10 or $12/yd), so there is enough on my table for a skirt... but that, as Tim Gunn would say, "That is a whole lot of look"! Not to be worn together, friends!
I lined it with a poly lining from Joann's, in ivory. It worked together beautifully, and is the type of jacket that can be worn with jeans or dressed up for work. See? I did both looks for fun. Can't remember the last "photo shoot" I did?!

Pattern adjustments/alterations? Just a little in the sleeves. I tapered the "girth" along the back seam (it's a 2-piece sleeve), taking it in about 1" at the wrist. I probably could've shortened it a little more, too, I guess.  The pattern has excellent directions, and was not complicated or fussy at all. I made the size 14 according to the finishing garment measurements, and it's perfect. There was one other place (flipping the lining out) that I did my own thing, but nothing major. I did topstitch all around the opening and hem to lock that sharp folded edge in.  Here are the back and side views...

It wears like a light denim jacket, and I'm really very happy with it! I would definitely encourage others to make it up, and I'll be doing more in the future with this pattern, it's a winner.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking of making it in leather. We'll see...

Brenda

Sally said...

Great jacket Kristine! I love that you can where this dressed up or down!

Sally said...

Great Jacket Kristine! I love that it can be worn dressed up or down

KellysSewing said...

Very nice!! You are right about the photo, it turned me off as well!

becki-c said...

Love it! You perfectly matched pattern and fabric.

Kyleigh said...

What a gorgeous jacket. You look fantastic in it! I sew adore your style!

gwensews said...

That's a pretty jacket. I can see it with solid color pants or skirt, as well as with jeans.

Bunny said...

This is great, Kristine. It is nice sometimes to have a jacket lighter in color. It sort of makes one feel "lighter". It looks wonderful on you.

twotoast said...

Lovely jacket - I am usually swayed by the pretty photos/artwork on the front, forgetting to look at the line drawings! So if the front does not appeal to me, whoooosh! Off I go!!

You did a great job . . . I am now off to get the pattern . . . . !

Jane M said...

Wow, wonderful pairing of fabric and pattern. I agree that Vogue's outfit is quite lame.

Anonymous said...


Love this jacket, it looks good on you. Might try this pattern myself. posted a link to this on my blog.

mrsmole said...

If you make it again you could throw in some piping in some of the seams to change the look and a wild lining. I bet you get compliments and lots of "where did you get that cool jacket!"

Dawn said...

Super cute! I love your hair right now too. I love animal print anything!

L said...

Your jacket looks great. I have to look at that pattern again.

SEWN said...

Love the jacket!

Gail said...

Great jacket. I like it worn with the dark round neck under it.

Jean said...

Fantastic jacket. I love the fabric print -- perfect for the simple style. Yes, a matching skirt would be a bit too much python, but it would be great with other items in your wardrobe!