This lovely dress is currently making it's way across the country, headed from Michigan to California. I hope my cousin likes it, as it turned out to be such a lovely dress. Simplicity 2053 turned out to be a real winner, and I'd recommend it heartily to any sewer that is comfortable with pleats.
It took me a little longer than I anticipated, as the chiffon and silk are both challenging fabrics to work with, and my decision to use the solid silk as an underlining and treat the layers together as one. I didn't want all the side pleats to be visible through the chiffon, or the darts in the back, so this way all of that was hidden inside the dress. Basting the two layers together on all of the pattern pieces took some time, and I had to get creative about the facing of the neckline. Facing pieces are included in the pattern, but I wanted to make sure the facing really blended in (I hate when they peek out). I fused a very lightweight interfacing to the remaining fabric and was able to cut the facings from it. Bonding fusible interfacing to chiffon was pretty nerve-racking, but it came out great, and blended in perfectly! I used my serger to finish all the seams on the inside, as adding another layer of lining seemed like over-kill for a dress that's going to live in California!
When I get a picture of her in it, I'll be sure to share it here with all of you!