Sunday, July 19, 2015

Vogue 1302: Little Black Lace Dress


Vogue 1302
Kay Unger with lots of ruching
My pattern review is here.

With a wedding to attend, and no little black dress in my closet, I thought it would be a good project. I managed to have EVERYTHING on hand in my stash already: lace, charmeuse, lining, zipper, and thread! There was only 1 other review I could find on this pattern, and it warned of the multiple layers of fabrics being heavy to wear... so the lace and charmeuse made a lot of sense to me. In hindsight, I'm afraid that the nature of the lace is not ruching-friendly, and maybe I'd have had more luck getting the gathers to lay correctly if I'd used a chiffon?

As I started construction, I hand gathered the lace over the 4 side panels of the dress (2 front and 2 back) which didn't take nearly as long as I expected. As I approached the draped and gathered lace pieces of the bodice, I was careful to first attach the flat edges of lace to the under layer of charmeuse, which made the gathering and attachment of the remaining edges much less confusing. My new Baby Lock Imagine serger was absolutely amazing going from lace to charmeuse, over gathers and switching between single layers and multiple layers with gathering. It was the absolute best investment in the sewing room, next to my Baby Lock Jane straight stitch machine!

One it was all together, I did NOT like the way the lace was poofing across some of the gathers, but a little time spent distributing the ruching and pinning and hand-tacking made for a much better looking bodice.
 You can see how I placed the pattern so the hem would fall along the scallop edge of the lace. Other than taking it in a pinch in the waist at the side seams, I made no alterations (and from all the corners and angles, I'm not sure it would've been possible to anyway).

I'm very happy with the final product. It's a great addition to my closet for special occasions, and was actually very comfortable in weight considering the heat index yesterday was 100 degreees! I'd definitely recommend this pattern, just be sure to select appropriate fabrics and have the patience to work with lots and lots of gathering!
A little selfie at the table with my honey.


15 comments:

Lori said...

That is such a beautiful dress, you look amazing.

Bunny said...

Very pretty dress and you are both so cute.

Kyle said...

Great looking dress, and hurrah for having everything in your stash all ready to go!
All your working out is totally paying off!

Kyle said...

p.s. congrats on your new serger too! The Imagine serges with the greatest of ease!

Jos van KloskaCreAtief! said...

Absolutely LOVE this dress!!

Lisa said...

Very cute dress and excellent job!

Sewing Faille said...

Wow, that's fantastic! You did such a great job!

Audrey said...

Your dress is so pretty and it looks wonderful on you. I wouldn't have thought of a LBD for summer wear. But you have changed my mind.

TheTellTaleTasha said...

Beautiful! and I love love LOVE the back!

Anonymous said...

Great looking design, love the finishing details. Learned something new with your design clothes online post - thank you.

Anonymous said...

Amazing dress, looks so lovely and warm, and the colors are amazing! Amazing patterns for sewing.

Anonymous said...

Nice clothing patterns. I never thought about using plaid for this particular pattern. Cute!

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I love your fabric choice. Thank you for thedesign clothes online, much appreciated

Unknown said...

p.s. congrats on your new serger too! The Imagine serges with the greatest of ease!
lace dress

Sienna Dwyer-Gray said...

Wow!! What a beautiful festival style and what a Lace Dress!!!!!!! Looking cute by wearing the black Lace Dress......

boutiqueken to get all white dresses

And for blouses for women

Thank you