Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In Progress: Winter Coat

Santa brought me lots of new clothes, so what's a girl to sew instead? A new winter dress coat, of course!

I bought the fabric (wool, coat lining, and faux fur) all last year, but never got around to actually starting... oops! I'm actually grateful for that, seeing as how it would've been a real downer to go to all that trouble for it not to fit this year! Happy surprises, right?

The wool coating is gorgeous (it came from Gorgeous Fabrics, so it should be!) and has a woven pattern within it. Black is hard to photograph, but the bright sunshine is helping here...

The pattern is Vogue 8346, view D. The faux fur will be the collar, and came from Ressy's co-op. My fear is that it will be "over the top", so I squeezed a collar piece out of the wool, just in case. What do you think... too much of a "look"?

The front and back are all stitched, so today will be spent catch-stitching the seams open. Lots of hand stitching to do, so I'd better get moving! Will update again in the next few days...

(Sorry for the weird format here. The app I've been using to blog from the iPad crashed, and I downloaded a different one this morning. If it doesn't shape up, this may mean the end of by blog!)

**ETA: Once I cut the fur collar and placed it on the body of the coat, I knew it was a done deal. I finished my happy dance, and resumed work... then found the most fabulous buttons in my stash. I can't wait to get this done to show you!!!

5 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Um, excuse me, the end of your blog? PLEASE don't close your blog, I will be so sad. The fabrics look great for the new coat. Could you maybe make a separate fur collar that attaches with buttons to the wool collar? You could wear it both ways depending on your mood or the place you are wearing it. Can't wait to see the final outcome!

marysews said...

Amanda's right - about the blog and the collar. A big, fur collar like that would Not be over the top - it would be awesome!

Irene said...

Mine is the third vote on both counts. I do so enjoy your posts! And - removable fur collar would certainly be the way to go. I LOVE that pattern.

L said...

Surely you mean the end on Blogspot, only to begin somewhere else! You can't leave. I forbid it!! I can't wait to see your finished coat. You look great!

Kyleigh said...

Wow, this coat looks AMAZING! Can't wait to see the finished product! My salivary glands are literally activating, and I just had breakfast.