Monday, February 23, 2009

Phew... that was a close one!

I've never been thankful for papers to grade, but I really needed time away from the blue dress to wrap my brain around the problem (see previous post). I've also never been so thankful that I kept the fabric scraps until the completion of the project! I sealed the edges of the border, as recommended, and let the pieces sit overnight to dry competely. Today afterschool, I very slowly and very carefully attached the border to the bottom edge of the missing skirt pieces. There was the tiniest bit of the dark blue at the edge, so that really helped the border seam blend in. Actually, I stitched it on twice: once at 2.5, and again at 1.5.
Once I saw how narrow the seam allowance was, I applied another layer of Fray Check and after it dried, I pressed the seam up toward the skirt.

Recut the pattern piece from the newly bordered fabric...


Not too bad... now lets see how it fits in with the center back pieces:

Okay, I can breathe again. I thought I really messed it up beyond fixing, but it doesn't look so terrible. I don't think most people will notice it actually, since it's in the back and she'll be dancing. I'll know it's there, though... ugh. Let. it. go.

I've attached skirt front to skirt back, so it's time to rethink again.

I really want to add a tulle/organza underskirt to peek out for that extra-girly-fru-fru factor. So, I'm thinking...

1. Cut the same skirt pieces out of the underlayer, but add 1-1.5" to the length.
2. Cut a rectangle 6" wide by 1.5 times circumference of the hem, fold it in half lengthwise, and gather.
3. Attach it to the top side, 3" above bottom edge, so that it sits between the blue skirt and underskirt. (Clear as mud?)

Thoughts???

6 comments:

Bunny said...

Here's a thought: Cut another skirt out of a lightweight batiste or voile. Make it shorter than the top skirt by maybe an inch and a half. If it is tulle, I would use at least twice the width for the ruffle. Make it long enough to get a good peek out. Attach as you had planned. I think the solid lightweight fabric will feel nicer next to her skin than any sort of netting. This is looking great so far and I am following closely. She will be such a little lady in this.

Julia said...

I agree with Bunny about making another skirt from a soft fabric and attaching the tulle to it. You might even make a half slip with an elastic waist and not actually attach it to the dress. That would probably be easiest and if you didn't like how it looks then she doesn't have to wear it. I hope she and dad have fun at the dance. The dress is turning out beautifully.

Keely said...

Good save. I like Bunny's idea

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies! Bunny, you're right about the softness, she's a delicate creature and I really do want her to enjoy wearing the dress!

jonrock53@mtaonline.net said...

I vote for a strip of tulle on top of a softer slip/half slip. It would cut down on the "itch" factor.

Summerset said...

Late to the party, but yes, attach the tulle to a lining, between the skirt and lining so that it doesn't touch the legs or tights. I like the half slip idea, too. Easy to make and much more versatile if she decides she doesn't like it.