Saturday, August 1, 2009

Beware: Construction Zone!

I've been working on my contest entry this week, and I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with, so far...


I am supposed make my own version of any pattern from the Top Ten lists of the past few years, and since I already owned Vogue 8379 and it had the most wearability, it is the basis for my garment. I am making it up from Bamboo Interlock that I purchased from the co-op, and it is the absolute softest fabric I've ever touched. I want more of this stuff, I could wear it everyday!!!
I struggled with how to make a unique, "winning" version that I could still get use out of. In other words, I needed to think outside the box, but end up with something that I could wear often. I didn't want to put hours of work into something that I never get to wear! A friend's dress at a recent party gave me the inspiration for the embellishment color scheme, and I had to play with the "trims" awhile to find the right combination. I still felt like adding trim wouldn't be enough to garner a "win" (I'm just a tad bit competitive, if you didn't know...), so I decided to alter the sleeve lines of the pattern. I love my racerback tops in the summer, and I love the look of a halter from the front, (but hate the low, bra-showing, back), so here's what I've got so far...

The bodice front
The bodice back (I definitely could've came in more toward the center for a true racerback, and still might...)
The inside of the back, where you can see the neck facings and armhole binding.
The trims separate
I also considered a single color bead of turquoise (too flat) or aqua, but the multicolor combination makes it look more 3-dimensional, in my opinion.

The trims combined (I wove the silver trim through the holes, and ended up with a (surprise) chain-link look that I really, really love.
The beads will also run on the other side of the scallop, I just haven't got that far yet! The black trim was blending right into the fabric, so the border definition really helps it stand out. This trim will border the front armholes, up around the back neckline (like halter straps, but over the fabric). It will also appear on the tie belt, but maybe not in the same combination.

I'm still playing with modifying the tie belt, but not sure about that yet. I decided to do the bead work on the trim while that concept needs time to stew...

I'm open for ideas, if you have any!!! I certainly don't need $1000 gift certificate to Fabric.com, but am confident I could find a way to spend it! The other prizes aren't so shabby either, but best yet, I'm going to end up with a fabulous dress, regardless of the contest!

********************

Me thinks a better picture of the new pleated blouse is in order! The one I posted, just doesn't do it justice. I'll wear it tonight to a family party, and have DH work his magic.

*******************

Say What??? I was swimming with the kids on Thursday, and my right ear got plugged. Still hasn't cleared up, and the ringing is starting to drive me nuts! I tried some Murine Ear Cleaning stuff, inserted drops, waited, flushed with warm water (twice), still no luck. If it's not better by Monday, I might have to go to the doctor (yuck). Any of you have any home remedies for this situation?

7 comments:

Julia said...

This looks great. We used to mix vinegar and alcohol to put in our ears after we swam and had this problem. We also used peroxide. Either should help. Good luck.

Sherril said...

You're trim will help this garment stand out from the rest. I can't wait to see what you do with the belt.

JoanneM said...

Love the trim.We have swimmers ear constantly at my house. Get it checked out if it has not cleared ,so that you don't end up with a good middle ear infection.

Kim said...

Great details on the dress. I was thinking of entering that with the same pattern but still haven't gotten the fabric I ordered so I may not now. Being a competitve swimmer for years I agree with the alcohol, that's what I used. Also you can try a hairdryer on warm setting. If it doesn't clear up though, hit the doctor. Kind of nice we finally have some "pool" weather isn't it!

Bunny said...

Our family doctor would have me use peroxide in the same situation on my girls. One of mine is a triathlon swimmer and suffers constantly from this. The peroxide helps. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs.....This dress looks like a real winner to me. The trim and racer back definitely make it v. special.

gwensews said...

Good luck with your contest dress. I'll be at the Expo to see it in person. Yay!

Michelle said...

I love it as a racerback! That is going to look fantastic!