Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pinstripe Party

Okay, I love the McCalls (Palmer/Pletsch) pants pattern (5941). I'm addicted...
This version is done using a pinstripe I found on the clearance shelf at Joann's. I know, I know... I swore off that aisle and promised I'd never set foot there again, but this is from the stash! I love pants with a little stretch and the pinstripes are so slimming (right? RIGHT?!?)! I've got these pants down to a science and can knock a pair out in a day. It would be nice if they had pockets, but they're not necessary, and sometimes more of a pain (ironing)! Here's my review of the pants pattern.


The top is Simplicity 2614, and I got it for a buck this weekend during Joann's 5 for $5 sale. The fabric also came from Joann's, but back in November '08 when I was looking for a woven to pleat for my copper dress. The color wasn't right, so it went into the stash, and I was able to squeeze view E (without the necktie) out of the 1 yard (60" wide) I had. The color is great with the pinstripe pants, but the fabric is a little too stiff, and next time I'll use a drapier blousing fabric. Here's my review of the top pattern. The back is one piece, cut on the bias, and there is a front facing and a back facing (not shown). I'm planning on adding 3 or 4 buttons to the center front seam, as it seems bare to me... Question: What other color top can I wear with these pants (other than white)? My brain wants to "match" things, and isn't so good at being open to what "goes with" them (anyone catch my "What Not to Wear" lingo, there?).

My Chanel jacket muslin is done and ready for NYC, but I'd also like to perfect a different pants pattern. This McCall's is great for stretchy cottons, but I'd like another pattern for drapey wools, with a more classic waist style. I'm thinking of this one from the August BWOF.

If you ever find yourself at Joann's with a 40% coupon and nothing to spend it on, I highly recommend this Fiskars Mini-Rotary cutter (Reg. price $8.99). You just lay your finger inside, aim, and move. No gripping required, so I've seen a lot less carpal-tunnel pain since using this to cut my paper patterns. I wouldn't try it on fabric, but it's awesome on paper!


******************************************
Non-Sewing Comment of the Day: Well, it's slightly sewing related... Project Runway is back! I watched the first episode and totally enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks to Michelle for keeping me company (I love the internet!), and I completely agree with the judge's decisions! I DVR'ed the 2-hour "All Star Challenge", but haven't had a chance to watch it yet! I saw who won, but missed the entire middle. Hope the hotel in NY had Lifetime, otherwise where will I watch it???

13 comments:

Marybeth said...

Great job on the pants - they look great, and yes, pinstripes are slimming! I also watched Project Runway and love it - but I didn't hear about the All-Star Challenge - what is that?
http://puppydogtails-marybeth.blogspot.com/

Julia said...

The outfit is great. I love the pinstripes and the top is so pretty. It looks drapey enough in the photo.

Lisa said...

You look totally awesome!

I like your idea of adding a couple of buttons to the front of the shirt.

Bunny said...

Great outfit. Again, that pattern really works for you. I agree on the cute top - a little CF embellishment. Could be a line of braid ???

gwensews said...

How wonderful to get a pair of good fitting pants. You can have a whole wardrobe of them for this fall and, I'm sorry--winter. I can't tell what color they are, but will a plum color top go with them? Or gray?

Adrienne said...

Very cute! Love the pinstripes!

Michelle said...

Your pants and shirt turned out FANTASTIC! I love the pinstripes, and have quite a few in my stash ready for when I finally figure out "my perfect pants fit."

I am so looking forward to this season of Project Runway! And as you now know, I am ALWAYS on the computer, too ;)

Tee said...

Great looking outfit, I have to get that pattern. They look like my favorite pair of Ann Taylor slacks@
1

Bettina said...

This is a great looking outfit. Kudos on those pants, I am still trying to get mine right. They look brown on my screen, so ice blue, any shade of pink, orange, beige or camel. A snappy, bright green, any of those color would look fantastic with those pants

HeathersSphere said...

You look delectably chic in your new top and pants (love that fit!!!).

Janet said...

You could wear almost any color with brown pinstripes; orange, rust, gold, teal, forest green, olive, purple, ruby, fuschia, pale pink, baby blue, cobalt...

Any pretty bold print, something that says "autumn" to you.

Trudy said...

You have a great blog. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog. I just made a Vintage Vogue Original 1944 Design, V2858. On the previous page you'll find a dress I made from an original 1974 pattern that I found in an antique store. I call that post The Lady in Lavender. And lots of other things in between. Hope you enjoy.

Patty said...

Linked to your blog after reading Lindsay's post about the NY sewing class....I'm jealous! I also like the pants you've recently made, and have added that Palmer/Pletsch pattern to my queue. I'm taking a couple of classes with Patti Palmer at the Novi Sewing Expo next month :-)