I think DH was more excited about me finishing this vest than I was! You may think I am a mild-mannered school teacher that likes to sew, but in reality....I'm a biker babe!!! Don't. mess. with. me.Hee hee... Okay, time to be serious about sewing now.
Here is my previous post with the basics of how I got started, and here is my review at PR.
I did the whole entire thing (except for the buttonhole) on Martha, my 1926 White Family Rotary (electric). She handled the layers of leather and wool like a champ, never hesitating or moaning/groaning/buzzing like my Viking when I try to hem denim! I had so much fun on this maiden voyage project with my vintage machine, not just getting used to driving her, but smiling at the irony of making such a modern and trendy garment on an 83 yr old machine! The only trouble I had was as I attached the trim, the grommets were a little tricky to navigate and in hindsight, I should've switched feet. But it's done now, and I absolutely love it. Here I am with more... ahem... appropriate undergarments...The amicale is a wool/cashmere blend from Gorgeous Fabrics, and it so very soft. The combination of the leather and wool is a little soft/hard, but I'll be able to wear this with my dress pants or skirt to work. I'll bring a whole new meaning to "tough math teacher"!
I'm very proud on the inside finishing I did on this, being leather and all. The pattern was really great, nice instructions with quality detail work. For example, the trim was attached before closing the lining so the stitches wouldn't show on the inside. It may seem silly, but too many patterns (especially Simplicity) dumb down the process often and produce a home-sewn product. Not this time, and I'm really glad to see that! Below is the inside of the collar at center back were I had a lot of leather to get through, almost unscathed! There is a little bumpy part where the feed dogs caught, but it was the only place on the whole garment where this happened. I used a regular needle (new 70/15 Shmetz) and a regular foot (no roller foot for the vintage machine), binder clips instead of pins, and the hammer to press the thick seams flat.Here is the inside of the shoulder seam where I stitched down the inside front by hand to the stitches in the leather.
And, here is the inside of the front where the lining (Ambiance from Joann's) meets the wool. Again, all done on the vintage machine, and not so much as a pucker!
I would've done the buttonhole on the vintage machine, but I was too scared to try out the vintage buttonholer. Maybe next time ;)
DH and I had fun doing the photo shoot today. Not many days left like this around here, so afterwards we jumped on the bike and went for a quick ride to dinner. I really enjoy the opportunities we get to ride, all the fresh air and it being just the two of us (for once). Hope the last days of fall are finding you equally happy in your sewing spaces!