Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Accident: The Story of a Near Wadder

Vogue 1085 (view B)
Fabric: "Flowers in Showers Jersey" from Gorgeous Fabrics
(Ann's having a Mother's Day sale, run over there and buy some, it's beautiful fabric with gorgeous colors!)

I love Sandra Betzina, and had high hopes for this knit top pattern.  I'm also a sucker for a cowl neck top, so I've been wanting to make this top for some time.  We're headed to a belated Cinco de Mayo party, and I figured this would be cute with my jeans and be super fast to make.  Well, I was right on 1 count...

It was super easy to make, with only 4 pattern pieces and requiring a yard and a half of knit fabric.  I've had this knit since my trip to NYC, and figured it would work with blue jeans.  The main pattern piece is the absolute weirdest configuration I've ever seen.  It's 1 piece cut on a fold, so the only seams are the side seams from armpit to hem.  I re-read the instructions 18 times making sure I was attaching the ties correctly, as they dangle down from the hem edge, not attach in the direction of the sides.  There is also no hole for the wrap tie to go through, you're supposed to just pull it out from under the other wrap side, which pulls the hem up, and does NOT look attractive.  (I'm sure that the photographer and Vogue did some wild fanagling  to get the pattern envelope picture to look so great!)

Just when I thought I'd wasted a few hours and some great fabric, I made an executive decision to open 1 side seam an inch to run the wrap tie through.  Huge difference!  I also tried it on upside down (with the side seam now sitting on my shoulders), and that was almost an improvement.  Like I said, this is the wackiest pattern I've ever worked with.  The Vogue pattern drafters must've been on crack and Betzina must've been on vacation!

Between the wrap ties and the bulk of the jeans waistband, it still wasn't quite perfect, so I tried it on with a black cami and my black RPL skirt from the Limited. Voila! It now looked lovely and feminine, and I would be able to get some use out of it.

Here it is worn backwards (with the "V" in back, and the cowl in front).  It's okay worn this way, but it's more striking with the wrap in front.
I still need to hem it (I halted all work when I saw what a mess it was turning into), and my only other word of warning to you is about the armholes.  Measure and trim if you wear anything bigger than a size Medium.  They are a little small, and it actually looks better hanging off the shoulder (like a cap sleeve) because of all the draping.  I don't think I'll be making this up again, it's pretty... uh... (ahem)... "unique".  Sleeveless cardi-wrap, anyone???

10 comments:

KID, MD said...

I have this pattern, bought on a whim at a Vogue sale because it looks so cool on the envelope, but I'm not sure I'm willing to tackle it now... Your sure looks nice though!

Bunny said...

This is a great looking top but what a journey! Glad yo followed your instincs to make that hole for the tie.

gwensews said...

It turned out beautifully. The line drawings surely don't indicate taht weird side tie treatment. I'm glad you persisted and made it work.

Mary Beth said...

What a "Save"!

Michelle said...

Good save!! Had that been me, I might have opened up the window and tossed it out into the yard!

amber said...

Well, you obviously made it work because it looks fantastic. Lovely print and such a pretty neckline. Pics of you in it? Pretty please. :)

AllisonC said...

Well it turned out great but I do admire your patience. The tie treatment just sounds bizarre, and nothing like the pattern photo or drawings, I wonder if it's a mistake??

Andrea said...

I think I picked this pattern up a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tips. I love your version. The fabric is gorgeous and you're right, it will go nicely with jeans or whatever you decide to wear it with. Nice job!!

Sharon Sews said...

Love how you saved this top. I also have this pattern as I'm a fan of Sandra Betzina. However I remember reading somewhere (blogs maybe or PR...can't remember) that others had difficulty in getting this to look like the pattern cover. Glad to know there is indeed a solution. Would love to see a photo of you wearing it with your black cami and skirt as that sounds lovely!

Linda L said...

Good save. I like the v in the back look just as well as in the front. Great looking fabric.