Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Official... Summer has Arrived!!!

The classroom is cleaned out, the grades are complete.  The pool is open, and the summer is off to a great start!  Now if I could just find some time to sew...

That my sound weird, that summer has started, but I'm too busy to sew, but it's true! The last week has been filled with a golf outing, a staff retirement party, a Sheryl Crow concert, and a camping trip.

Yes, those are our kayaks, we've found another hobby.  This is the Pinnebog River, which empties into Lake Huron at the "Tip of the Thumb" of Michigan.  Love it there...
So, today (after I make a few phone calls) will find me in the sewing studio.  I've got a skirt to finish for tonight's "Date Night" with DH, and a sundress for a former student.  This is a funny story...

Her mom entered her in a "Scholarship Program", but didn't tell her it was a beauty pageant for the Scottish Society.  When her application was approved and she made it to the "pageant round", M found out about the "interview portion" of the process!  Let me tell you about M... she's not a pageant girl.  She's beautiful, funny, smart, mature, bright, responsible, and a natural born leader.  I was not at all surprised that she won the scholarship and is now "Queen of the Highlands".  Her Royal Highness is now obligated to appear at summer fairs and parades, while wearing a tartan sash and tiara.  With the heat of summer (and the wool of the sash), she needs a lightweight purple dress for her "public appearances", so that's where I come in.  It will be pretty fast, since she picked the same pattern we used for her Homecoming dress, just shorter.  I'll have that posted in a few days.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting with my school sewing volunteers to make the "neck coolers".  I have to head to JA's and get the cotton, so I'd better run.  See you in a few days! Hope you're all staying cool and are safe.  There are some crazy storms rolling across the country these days...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What a beautiful place to camp! Hope you are having a fantastic summer!

Meg said...

That is too funny about her mom entering her in a Scottish pageant! Annie would kill me! Happy summer to you too. You look great, BTW.

Gail said...

When I finally do my US road trip, will you show me this place. It looks so relaxing and unspoiled.

amber said...

That is a really great picture of you and the kids. :)