Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Weight GAIN Wednesday

Yes, you read that correctly. The scale moved in the wrong direction this week, but it's really no surprise to me.  Not only have I had a lot of trouble making time to exercise with all the "end of the school year" craziness, but our camping trip made for a dieting challenge, too.

While we were smart to pack chicken breasts to grill, and healthy snacks like yogurt, bananas, and granola bars, there is just something about sitting around the camper that makes you want to eat.  At the campfire I had a couple of smores (but drank absolutely no alcohol), and at the beach I managed to stay away from the giant bag of Doritos.  For lunch we grilled fat free hot dogs (I skipped the buns) and munched on baked chips and salsa (that counts as serving of veggies, doesn't it?), but it was really hard not to eat for no reason other than to pass the time.  I'm still "soda pop free" since February, so I only drank water, but I didn't exercise the way I wanted to either.  I was planning on doing some great early morning running, but it was cold and wet, and I'll admit, that's a pretty lame excuse.

Live and learn, right?  Next time, I know what to do differently.  I'll pre-cut and pack bags of carrots, celery, cucumbers, and green peppers, so that when the boredom munchies strike, I'll be prepared with a healthy, low-calorie option.  I will bring along my iPod and make time for a run before I allow myself to hit the beach.  We also learned how to kayak this trip, so there's another exercise alternative.  As for the smores... well, it's camping, and that's just part of the fun!

So, I have major grocery shopping to do today (the cupboards are truly bare!) and I will get on the treadmill this afternoon. My running buddy has been out of town, but she's back now, so that will help a lot.  Friends from work are planning a bike ride Friday, so I'm looking forward to that, too.  So I WILL see you next week with a return to "Weight LOSS Wednesday"!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I commend you for staying on track with the weight loss! Camping is too fun, and smores are just part of it -- you could pre-count the marshmallows, and pack only as many as you want to eat?
Other than that: hang in there, and continue!!!! Great work!
I just moved continents, and find all sorts of other dumb excuses to not start my own weight-loss journey. Since the move eight weeks ago, I've been good about preparing lots of healthy meal, hardly any snacking, lots of fruit, even mealplans. Yeah. However, yoga once or twice a week hardly counts as exercise, and I can't even use the "my running shoes are on the ship" excuse any more, as things have arrived two weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

sorry, didn't want to be Anonymous, here's my blog: http://strickeritis.blogspot.com/ (blogger didn't take name/url)

AuntieAllyn said...

Hey, that stuff happens . . . it's so damned easy to put a pound or two back on! You'll just get back on the program and get rid of it! Heck, you have to have a little fun/indulgence while on vacation, but it sounds like you didn't overdo it (which is important). And you're right about planning ahead . . . it's easier to stick to a healthy eating plan if you have the food available!

KID, MD said...

It is so hard to watch what you are eating around the campfire!! Something about it just whets my appetite. Good for you for doing as well as you did!

angie.a said...

No loss here either. You're right, there's something about the end of school craziness that makes it impossible to keep on track!! I"m mentally drained, but today was my last day and I'M OFF FOR SUMMER!! Woohoo!! Hopefully I can get back on track again, because the last 7 or 8 days have been a bust!

Laura Lee said...

S'mores - Sch'mores! MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN ADIPOSE TISSUE!!! You are just getting HARD! Rock on!

And in the words of a great person that I never knew but wish I had:
Everything in moderation, including moderation!!!!
xxoo
Laura

Gail said...

Don't obsess. Its the measurements not the scale that matter. Muscle weighs more than fat. But if you really have gained weight pick up the pieces and start over - just because you break one egg, do you throw out the dozen. I think not!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could add encouragement, but I've been a naughty exerciser myself. In the past 2 weeks, I've worked out twice. So bad! We can always get back on track though. I'm sure you will.

Bunny said...

You've picked yourself up and moved on. Congratulations! That puts you way ahead of any pounds you may have gained. To everything there is a season a time for every purpose,,,, and camping is just plain ole time for smores.

elizabeth said...

It's okay to fall off the wagon a little. Allow yourself wiggle room for special occasions/events.

melissa said...

How very timely, we're going camping this weekend! Thanks for the reminder about the crudites...

Kristin said...

You are doing an amazing job Kristine! To paraphrase your blog title- just keep going!