Sunday, June 6, 2010

What a Weekend!!!

No sewing went on, but it was still a wonderful weekend!  We took our camper "up north" to the tip of the thumb area here in Michigan.  While the weather wasn't totally cooperative (rain Friday night and Saturday night), it was a gorgeous day on Saturday!  There was just a small sand dune between our camper and Lake Huron...
DH and I learned how to kayak, while the in-laws watched the kids at their camper.  Then we all headed to the beach to build sandcastles, find shells, and relax in the sun.  It wasn't hot, but it sure was beautiful!  No one wanted to come home today and go back to school/work tomorrow, but it's just 2 more weeks until we're finished with all that stuff!
I've got 2 skirts to show you, and the swimsuit (which was amazingly simple like everyone said) is nearly finished.  Then I've got 2 paying jobs (a knit dress and a cocktail dress) to start working on.  This is my last full week of school, then next week is finals and a few half days... woo hoo!!!

10 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Looks beautiful up there! Is the swimsuit for you or one of your kids? I'm in that swimsuit sew-along at PR but nobody's posted any pictures yet and it's just kind of sputtering along.

Gail said...

Good to see that you are feeling better. Didn't realise that there are beaches in Michigan.

Laura Lee said...

Great trip! Don't you love kayaking? It is such a great way to enjoy water and the scenery. Can't wait to see the bathing suit! I have been wanting to get the nerve up to try making one for myself!

Beangirl said...

I thought your first picture was a professional photo that you, uh, borrowed. Then I realized it wasn't! Wow, nice vacation (and nice photo).

I'm always surprised to hear people are still in school, we get out extra early here (and start ridiculously early too, two weeks before Labor Day!)

Can't wait to see the swimsuit!

Marybeth said...

That first photo looks like a post card! I'm interested to hear about your swimsuit!!! I also cannot wait for summer vacation to start!

Bunny said...

That picture is a treasure. Nothing grandmas love more than watching the babes while the middle generation takes off. Glad you had such a wonderful time. I did too, on my weekend with grands so I know how lucky your parents feel. You are blessed to have them around.

AuntieAllyn said...

Michigan has the loveliest coastlines! I go up to the Traverse City area every fall for a quilting retreat . . . it's one of the highlights of my year!

amber said...

What a fun weekend! I'm excited to see pics of the projects you recently finished up.

amber said...

What a fun weekend! I'm excited to see pics of the projects you recently finished up.

patsijean said...

The beauty of Michigan seems to be a very open secret, if that makes sense. I grew up in Deckerville, MI, just 7 miles from Lake Huron. I have lived in Tennessee since 1979 and still miss the lakes and the cool evening breezes. I keep trying to encourage people here in the South to vacation up North but they seem afraid to. A girlfriend of mine visited Holland, MI a few years ago and was amazed at the size and scope of Lake Michigan (I tried to tell her). She also visited Sleeping Bear Dunes (which I have not seen). About 15 years ago another woman friend and I went up to visit "Patricia's Roots". We spent 3 nights visiting Detroit, Lapeer, and Deckerville, and drove Lakeshore Road up to Alpena, and from there to Traverse City where we took the Ferry to Macinac Island. We spent a night in the Grand Hotel. At breakfast we watched a freighter navigate the straits. My friend said the shore of Lake Huron reminded her of some of the seashore areas of Maine.