Monday, December 15, 2008

Almost There...

Okay, here is the almost finished FIL "Tribute to the 1971 Challenger R/T" shirt. It matches the car, but needs a couple things...
1. Buttons. I bought black, but am having a brain fart. Black buttonholes, right? Or, yellow?
2. Embroidery. The original plan was to stitch the car on the front left chest, but the placement of the yellow/black seam is right where the design should go. And, the design I found isn't exactly his make/model. So, here's my idea: Embroider (in a script like the car decal) " Dodge Challenger R/T '71" on the black, running vertical up along the black/yellow seam, in silver thread. Or yellow?
The pattern is Simplicity 4287, a Threads Magazine Collection (out of print) pattern. Can't remember how I stumbled across it, but I ordered it from the Simplicity website, and they had one in stock! It's exactly what I was looking for: something with a little retro vibe and the stripe built in. You can't tell from the picture, but to topstitch the front seam (and back yoke), I used two spools of yellow thread running through the same needle. Great effect, I'm really happy with it!
Can you say "indecisive"???
The next project is DD's Christmas dress. I have red panne stretch velvet, and will use Simplicity 3668, the short sleeve dress version. I want to add a sash and bow in the front, where the pleats meet the yoke, and found 3 options. Candy cane striped cotton, Grosgrain striped ribbon, or sparkly candy cane organza. Opinions??? I also plan on lengthening the sleeves.
I'm exhausted. It's been crazy getting the holiday decorations up and winding up this last week of work before 2 weeks off. The embroider work continues to keep me too busy, so I'm really looking forward to having time off work to sew some fun projects! And, my sewing area is all re-organized and cleaned up. So nice having it all in one area, much less back and forth, and way less clutter.
Hope you are all doing well. With all the wild winter weather, my sewing friends in the Northeast have been in my thoughts. Hope you are all safe and warm!

4 comments:

Summerset said...

Yellow buttonholes - they will match the background fabric and not compete with the buttons themselves. As far as the embroidery, stitch out two samples, pin them in the correct locations and stand back and see which one you like best. I'm going to guess that the yellow will probably be more distinctive, but the silver may depend more on the type of thread and density of stitching. For the dress, I like the grosgrain ribbon because it is uncomplicated and the dress could be worn for Valentine's too. The candy canes would be my second choice depending on the age of the little angel. The younger she is, the better you can get away with the candy canes. My daughter (age 10) would probably roll her eyes at such a fabric.

Meg said...

Thank goodness Summerset gave you an answer because I am exhausted just thinking about all your decisions! Your goal is to stay out the looney bin this holiday.

Anonymous said...

That shirt is fantastic!! You did a wonderful job and I was able to see the topstitching by clicking on the photo to enlarge it. I actually like the idea of yellow embroidery thread, but I like Summerset's idea of stitching a couple of samples, pinning them and standing back to see what you think. I know you will do an amazing job, whatever you choose. I hope you will show pictures of the finished product!

Anonymous said...

i need to make my husband that shirt. a summer staple! good luck getting ready for the holiday. I just finished my girls' dresses...what a relief. now something for me to wear!