Sunday, June 21, 2009

What a week!

My house is a mess and my feet hurt. Guesses, anyone?

The messy house is the result of preparing for (and returning from) our latest family camping adventure. We spent 4 days in East Tawas, Michigan on the shore of Lake Huron (about 3 hours drive from home). You may not be aware that I live in the "Great Lakes State", which is comprised of 2 peninsulas (the lower is shaped like a mitten) surrounded by 5 fresh water "great" lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior. Tawas is short for Ottawas, the Indian tribe that inhabited this area long, long ago. Here are my kids enjoying Lake Huron...
The area is beautiful, scenic, and relaxing (except for the train that rumbled along 100 ft from our camper each night at 10:30pm and 12:00am!) We had one day of rain, and the rest of the time was spent at the beach, at the playground, and checking out the local shops. The quilt shop had nothing special, but DD picked out the following selections from the Ben Franklin store. The flowers will be the main piece for a sundress, with the other pieces and the ribbon for ruffles or embellishment.
We had a great time, and would've stayed an extra couple days except for my sister's wedding today (and the reason for my aching feet!). She looked beautiful and happy, and it was a wonderful day spent with my entire family. I'm one of those people at a wedding who is always dancing (with my kids, with my sisters, with my nieces...), and my feet are killing me right now. The red silk dress was a hit, and my sister was very touched to see all of us sporting some shade of red! I forgot my camera, but will post a picture of all of us as soon as I get one!

This week will be no less crazy than the last! I have to spend 4 days in "summer school" with other high school teachers, learning how to teach AP Statistics next year. Then, Saturday is DD's 6th birthday party in the backyard with friends and family. I'm pretty sure no sewing will take place this week (sadly)! As for my summer sewing plan, it's off to a slow start... it'll be July before I'm able to touch my machine! As I finished the school year, I noticed that my closet is filled with cute skirts and warm weather wear, but in the fall/winter, I have nothing to wear (that I've made). My plan for this summer is to work on pieces for myself (mostly pants and shirts) for the fall and winter months. When I go to New York for my 4-day sewing workshop, I'm thinking my project will be a suit jacket and coordinating pair of dress slacks. Catch up with you next week (keep your fingers crossed for my sanity, please)!!!

6 comments:

Gail said...

Good luck with your courses. I really like the American system of AP courses. My daughter took two when she was an exchange student in New York. As a fifteen year old it was great to have exposure to college level course that has stimulated her learning in her senior high school years at home.

Bunny said...

What a great segway from the school year! That's a darling fabric combination.

BConky said...

Love your new fabric collection. Summer is always busy with little ones.

Meg said...

Looks like you had a great time. We used to camp at Wisconsin's various lakes when I was a kid. Heavenly.

Michelle said...

Glad you had time for a nice vacation before your classes start! It looks like a beautiful spot!

Julia said...

It sounds like a fantastic vacation. You could probably teach the inservice that you are going to. I always felt like so many of those days were wasted. Not all, but most. I love your DDs choices for fabric for a sundress. My cousin has a cabin somewhere in upper Michigan. I've not been there but may ask for an invite.