Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back to School (Say it Ain't So!!!)

Little Miss Princess will be starting the 1st grade in a few weeks, and she's not excited about it. Actually, she loves school and cries on days when she's too sick to go, but when I asked her about school starting soon, she said, "Mom, 1st grade is going to be more work than Kindergarten because it's all day, every day!" I'm sure she'll change her tune when the big yellow bus rolls up in September!

Back in the spring, she picked out 6 coordinating fabrics (3 solids and and 3 prints) for easy outfits, but I only made 1 (oops!). So this week, I got busy and stitched up 2 pair of elastic waist pants and another shirt! I have 1 shirt left to go, but here's what we have so far...

Do you think she likes them??? The plaid shirt is Simplicity 3511 (view E), and all the rest came from Simplicity 2677.

Can you say "Diva"??? Here is a close-up of the plaid shirting (it's got a metallic red thread wove through that gives it a touch of sparkle, which she loves) and the fabric for the final shirt in the group, which I'll knock out this weekend.
I'm supposed to be preparing muslins for NYC, but I got this fabric from the co-op with my bamboo, and it was an itch I just had to scratch! During both pregnancies, I had a serious ice cream craving, namely DQ Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzards. There were nights when I couldn't sleep without a small serving of ice cream, and having this fabric in the house is like those prego cravings! It's a divine Anna Sui embroidered cotton, and it's becoming a sundress. The weave is tight and fine, like a silk, so I had to get creative to prevent show-through. Come back in a day or two, the bodice is nearly finished, and the skirt part just needs to be gathered and attached. And finally, thank you, thank you, thank you for all the compliments and well wishes on my Summertime Dress contest entry. I will keep you posted if I make it to Round 2!
Non-Sewing Comment of the Day: I love Wii Active! I've never known the best way to combine cardio and strength training, and this takes all the guess work out of it! No more "3 sets of 12 reps", this is always changing things up, mixing cardio and resistance band moves, and you can't cheat! It knows when you aren't moving properly, and will correct you (it also cheers you on when you're doing it right)! The other day I had to rollerblade (balance) and today I did some tennis swings, and my absolute favorite is the boxing. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I was sore after the first session, and continue to break a good sweat every session. The best part is that I picked it up on sale, used some coupons, and after all the discounts, paid about $20 (regularly $60). Two thumbs up so far, let's see if I have to start cutting smaller patterns soon!

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a cutie you have there!

julia said...

A diva she is indeed! She's a little princess fashionista, which is a good thing. I have 4 little grands just like her. Her mommy did a great job on all the back to school clothes. She'll be the best dressed little first grader in her school! Your fabric is awesome.

Dawn said...

What cute outfits. I love, love, love that fabric you got from the co-op. I'm expecting a box soon too. :) School starts for me TOMORROW!

Dana said...

What great outfits! Yea, I think she likes them. I'm dreading shopping with my daughter this year. It's not just that she's so opinionated - she changes her mind after it's made/purchased! Can't wait for those teenage years - hah!

angie.a said...

What a cutie!!! THe outfits are darling too, she'll be the best dressed 1st grader in her class :D

gwensews said...

Your little girl is adorable. She'll be the best dressed 1st grader in school.

Thanks for the review of the Wii Active. I have Wii Fit, and love it. I looked at Active, but was hesitant to get it. I may have get it after hearing you talking about it.

Beautiful white/black fabric. I'm anxious to see what you did with it.

Michelle said...

She is so cute! And what a little showperson, she just loves having her picture taken, doesn't she? I love the embroidered fabric, that is going to be lovely.

Tamara said...

Your daughter is adorable! Obviously she loves her cute new outfits.

Lisette M said...

Your daughter is just too cute!

Summerset said...

Awww, now isn't she just so cute! Those are perfect pieces for school - easy to wear and fun colors.