Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Help with Un-petiting a Pattern!

My next project is jacket #119 from the August Burda.
It's only drafted a "petite" (height 5'3"), but I am 5'6". I might be a little short-waisted, but I never shop in the petites department! This is the muslin of my jacket, and I'm happy with the fit but unsure of the length. I know there are pull lines in the back, but that's just because I'm holding it closed and in a hurry to catch my photographer before he left the house!

1. What do you think about the length? This is unhemmed, so it is supposed to lose 1" at the hem. I think I'll split the pattern and add 1" to 1.5" to the bodice length. Keep in mind, I will mostly wear it open like the model photo, not all snapped closed.
2. Are the bust darts right? They seem a bit high to me, but what's your call? Also, you can see in the side view that the front lays more flat that it appears from the front.
I am impressed with my newly acquired speediness. I traced it off Friday night, and cut the muslin Saturday. Last night (Tuesday) I put the muslin together during "Biggest Loser", and only referred to the instructions long enough to figure out the notches on the sleeves for correct placement. Damn, I'm good... (except for only bothering with one sleeve on the muslin. shhhhh...)
Also, a great big "THANK YOU" for all your comments on my vest. I hope I didn't offend anyone, as DH and I seem to have a lot of fun lately with my sewing photo shoots. While he may not be enthusiastic during construction, it's always fun to see what background or poses he has in mind when it's all done. Sharing some part of my hobby with my husband is actually really nice. So, pardon the sexy/trashy/provocative poses, it was all in good fun.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Since the darts angle up, are they perhaps not too high but too long? Just a thought. I really like this pattern and can't wait to see your finished product!

Bunny said...

Do you plan on any shoulder pads? You need a scoshe more room in the shoulder seam if you do. The armscyes appear to be quite high as well and worth a scoop out. If the waist horizontal wrinkles don't disappear release a bit of the hips, enough till they fall straight down.

Manitoulin Threads said...

I am so glad to see someone else wants to "un-petite" this pattern. I have been wanting to sew it, but not brave enough to venture forth, being somewhat of a beginner. I will be reading along and anxious to see your finished product (as well as what changes you make to the pattern). Sew on!

Unknown said...

I love this jacket. The darts and the armsyce seem just a bit high, but what do I know! I want to check out the vest photos! I missed them.

Gail said...

I'm only 5'2" - I can't wait to try this pattern. I get so frustrated trying to shorten and widen all my patterns.

Dawn said...

Hmmmmm, I think it looks good? I guess a little more length would be good but I wouldn't add too much. I LOVED your trashy photos.

LindaNan said...

Biker babe teacher, I sent the photo to my daughter, naples-biker-babe, a marine science teacher. She also sews.

AnaJan said...

Hi there,

I've made the same jacket recently. I am 1.75m tall, and I lengthened the jacket by 2.5cm and the sleeves by 2cm. You can see my version, as well the pattern alterations on the BurdaStyle site:

http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/lime-green-jacket

I'm looking forward to see your version.
Ana

Meg said...

Well, I don't think it needs to go too much longer, maybe just a hair or so to accommodate hems.

Kathi said...

Good luck with your project - it is a really cute jacket! Once you get it all figured out, let us know exactly how you did it!!!