Saturday, December 25, 2010

Each Man's Life...


"Each man's life touches so many other lives." -Clarence the Angel, It's a Wonderful Life

Thank you so much for your friendship, kindness, and support throughout the year.  Until I "met" you, I felt like a lonely "sewing geek".  Your passion and skill for this craft keep my inspired and challenged, and now I feel like part of a community.  Thank you for helping me share, question, and plan aloud, because your feedback helps move me forward. I'm really looking forward to actually meeting more of you this year, whether it is via your comments and emails, sharing of your blogs, or actually meeting you face-to-face!  It's really amazing how the technology of the internet has allowed all of us to come together, sharing laughter and tears, joys and sorrows, even though we are miles and miles apart.

Ok, enough of the mushy stuff... on to the goodies!

In the "Giving Department" this year, I ended up doing far more crafting than I anticipated.  All 3 of these projects came up just in the last week, which makes me pat myself on the back a little.

Apparently, the kids with "M" names were pretty naughty this year, as there was a surplus of these stockings at Target, but no "D" stockings were anywhere to be found!?  One kid's stocking was all set, but the other one was gonna take a little work.
So, I removed about 2/3 of the beads from the "M", and restitched them on to form the "D" I needed.  I was very grateful for grabbing the "M" to re-do, as it gave me lots of beads to work with.  It may not look perfect, but she is happy, so I am happy!
Also, my father-in-law is an avid mechanic, so DH had a great idea to pick up a Dickie work shirt, and add some embroidery.  He was thrilled to get his very own customized, personalized "wrenching" shirt!  The twill I've been using on the Vera Bradley sweatshirts came in super-handy on this!
Lastly, I warned you last Friday that I had decided to take on a last-minute, Top Secret project for DH.  It nearly got finished... but was "done" enough to wrap and put under the tree.
I just need to put the top together with the batting and backing, and he'll have a lap quilt to keep him warm, on duty or off.  The fabrics are various patriotic, Navy, Fire Dept. prints.  He's always said, "You made everyone else a quilt except for me!" So, now... he can't say that anymore!

In the "Receiving Department", I was happy to get a new Kai Rotary Cutter, a pleating board, and a grip handle for my clear ruler.  But, I was absolutely thrilled to open this:

A Consew gravity feed iron!  I never thought I'd be so happy to get a "domestic appliance" in my life!?  Anyone out there who owns one, feel free to drop me an email of tips and tricks of using it, as I am now scared and intimidated by the sheer weight of it!

Merry Christmas to all of you.  I'm wishing you a wonderful holiday with loved ones, making new memories, and cherishing the old family traditions.

8 comments:

Irene said...

A very merry Christmas to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas.

KID, MD said...

Fabulous, both in the giving and receiving department. I hope your Christmas continues to be wonderful!

a little sewing said...

a very creative Christmas! I just love your thoughtful gifts and, of course, approve of those you received.
Great post!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a wonderful Christmas present! May you get much use out of it and make many amazing pieces with it!

Beangirl said...

Awesome!

And Merry Christmas!!!

Rose said...

It sounds like you had a very Merry Christmas. You received and gave some great gifts. Happy New Year!

amber said...

You were one of the first sewing bloggers that I started to follow when I started sewing and I appreciate all of the beautiful garments you've sewn, as well as your comments and general inspiration. So Thank You! :)

Sounds like your holidays were fabulous. Love that work shirt and the quilt - nice work!