Sunday, May 15, 2011

Opinions, Please!!!

The Prom Dress is under construction, having spent yesterday getting all the fabrics cut out.  The embellished lace proceeded to kick my butt, as I tried to perfect the placement of the pattern pieces on the beads and sequins.  Here? There? There!  Then I hand-basted the satin pieces beneath the lace, so I could then treat them as one.  Throughout cutting of the lace and then pleating of those pieces, I had to either dodge the beads and sequins, or remove them, then stitching any remaining beads/sequins, anchoring them to stay put!  Little by little, step by step... as my principal said last week, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!"  So, here I am this morning with the worst part of the project behind me, and a great feeling of accomplishment.  Also, a nagging feeling of "Is it PERFECT?"

Here's where you come in.  Do you think I should add in some of the extra beads/sequins to this bodice section?  Do you think the "empty spaces" need something?  I texted the client a picture and asked her, but she said, "It's up to you.  I trust your judgement."  This girl is a dream to work with, I wish I could get girls like her every year!
So, what say you?  Should I leave well enough alone?  Should I stitch a little more sparkle on those empty spots?  The rest of the dress is all satin, so this is it for the "sparkle factor"...
One last note of my "attention to detail"...  The construction of the shoulder straps meant that there ended up being beads and sequins on the under-side, which I thought could be irritating on her skin, rubbing and scratching her unnecessarily.  So, this morning I snipped them off one-by-one, and am very pleased with myself having been so thoughtful! Keep your fingers crossed for me that this continues to be a "dream come true", not only in appearance, but in construction as well!!!  Thanks again for your input!!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why you might want to add more, but think you should be careful about putting sequins on or around the bust point. Might take away from the elegance factor. What about some sequin-y trim around the neckline, or at the seam where the skirt will be attached?

Looks like it will be beautiful, whatever you decide!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great just as it is. Sometimes more is not better great job.

Beangirl said...

It looks wonderful! I agree about careful placement... on the other hand, does it look like you've sort of skirted the bust-point area? I'd just lay a few out to get a feel for it and see what you think. It's lovely as-is.

so not helpful, right?

angie.a said...

I say no, leave as is. I think once the rest of the dress is together it will be perfect. Looks beautiful!

Summerset said...

Leave it as is. She can always add more bling in the way of accessories. If you do add more, then the attention will go more to that than to the girl who is wearing it.

DaneMum said...

When in doubt - leave it out! Or Less IS more!

I would stop - it's so hard to make that call - often one ends up seeing the decorating should have stopped LONG ago!

It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Stop before you overload!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great as is. You did a beautiful job!

Anonymous said...

Without first reading what others have said, I say it looks good the way it is and not to add anything...the fabric is SO pretty. You do such nice work.

Myra said...

I'm afraid I agree with the rest of your subscribers...It's beautiful now and you don't really want to ruin perfection! Leave "well enough" alone so you won't wish you had!! :) Beautiful work!

Vicki said...

I think if you are asking then maybe you think it needs some more? I would add more. But I see I am the only one who thinks it. Well you can always add more later?

Cousin B said...

I would leave it - as someone said earlier, accessories can be added later.

Bunny said...

I would add more but only on the upper edge of the garment, maybe a inch and half area wide. I would sort of straggle (?) them out to obilivion (no beads) in the area over the bust. This is very pretty Kristine.

KID, MD said...

This is going to be amazing! I'm generally a less is more kind of girl, but I have to go with Beangirl that the middle of each boob looks a little bare, which is giving it a bit of a "headlights" look. That said, you'll be handsewing any embellishment, so you can wait until the dress is more together and get a more holistic feel for the look then.

AllisonC said...

I think it's hard to tell until the skirt is attached so if you can wait till that stage in the construction and decide later that's what I would do. Whatever you decide I am sure the gown will be beautiful.

a little sewing said...

It is VERY pretty! I like Bunny's idea of adding just a bit more along the upper edge. Looking good!

linda said...

I just finished altering a prom dress (taking it from a size 18 to a size 12)and it was the same as this.... the satin had an overlay of embellished netting. The embellishment was not heavy and it was gorgeous. Just enough to add something but not gaudy at all! I say leave it! The only thing that you might consider is a sewing a "row" of beads along the neckline. The dress I just did had this along the neckline but it is was a strapless dress. If she is wearing a fancvy necklace, you would not need to add neckline beads.

Gail said...

I'd leave it as it is. It looks pretty and too much bling may be tacky. I also like the way the beading is not symmetrical.

Big in Japan said...

My initial feeling is, less is more. That said, if you really feel compelled, and if she won't be wearing a necklace, a few bits along the top edge could be nice. I never went to prom, I'm clueless!

Debbie Cook said...

I like it as is, but I would also like it with a little more embellishment from the neck edge downward. I think your best judgment will be perfect, whichever direction you go.