Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring/Summer Outfit #1

Simplicity 2677

Pattern Description: Top/Dress (with or without short, cap sleeves), shorts and pants. There are variations for color blocking on the top/dress. Pants/Shorts have elastic waist and top/dress has zipper at center back.
Pattern Sizing: 3-8. I made the 4 for my daughter (RTW 6) with slight size modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Mostly, yes. I turned the pants into capri's, with a drawstring tie at the hem.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, and well illustrated.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the style of the top/dress, but when I realized it was a back zipper closure, I was really irritated. In a dress I think that's fine, but what 5 yr old wants to zip her shirt in the back??? The Big 3 really need to think about their customers needs (little kids that like to dress themselves). See alterations below to see how I fixed this issue.

Fabric Used: Cotton/lycra wovens from Joann's. My daughter chose 3 prints and 3 coordinatiing solids for a spring/summer wardrobe that she can easily mix and match. This is the first of the 3 outfits.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Pants: They were going to be too short for pants, so I decided to make capri's. I knew I wanted a decoration at the hem, and had a feeling I'd be taking them in, too. When I serged the inside leg seam, I serged each front side and back side edge separately, so I'd be able to press those seams open and make a casing at the hem for the tie. The fit in the waist and through the hip was a little big, so I took in 1/2" on each side, and graded up to an 1" at the calf. I took 3" off the hem to make them capri's, folded up 1" to make a casing for the drawstring tie, and used my 1/2" bias tape maker to make the ties. I cut 1" strips, pressed them through the tape maker, and folded them closed to make a long skinny drawstring, stitching them shut.
Top: When I realized the front wrap was just for show and the pattern called for a back zipper, I made some changes. I sewed the center back seam closed, and placed a hidden snap at front right and front left to keep the wrap closed. (It's hidden because I placed the snaps prior to stitching down the waistband decoration. See picture below.) I used my bias tape maker again (for the neck and armhole bindings, too) and made a loop for the tie to catch the front flap.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yeah, now that I've engineered the front to be a real wrap top, yes. I'll be making another pair of capris/shorts, and a dress (down the road). I recommend to others, it's a really cute outfit, and not a big deal if you don't care about the back zipper or want to change it.

Conclusion: Cute pattern, I wish I had traced it off, instead of cutting into it. I'll pick up another copy at the next 99 cent sale!

12 comments:

Susan said...

That outfit came out perfect! I think the capris and ties are a great modification.

Michelle said...

Super-cute! Your daughter did a great job picking out her fabrics.

Amanda S. said...

Very cute! If only I had a cute little girl to sew for as well... Are you ever able to make clothes for her with your extra fabric from something you've made for yourself? I always think that would be a fun way to use up little bits of this and that.

Dawn said...

That is sooo cute. I may do those PJs this weekend.

Julia said...

This is great and so stylish for the young lady!

gwensews said...

You know the saying, "when life gives you lemons"? Well, you made some wonderful lemonade here! What is cuter than a little girl in pigtails and capris?

As for the zipper--one can only surmise that garment was designed by a MAN !!

Renee said...

This is so cute! Thanks for the good idea about doing away with the zipper. I might need this pattern for my girls!

Ann Made Studio said...

A very pretty outfit!

Bunny said...

GReat save on the zipper situation! Personally, I don't think any child should have a back zipper till maybe 12 yrs old. I change every one to a placket and buttons. They just don't seem to look right on a small child. I also think part of it is we see our little ones in so many knits that a zipper really looks out of place when we see one. When's the last time anyone saw a zip in a garment for a little one under five?

Dana said...

Very cute! I love the combinations of fabrics!

Summerset said...

Super cute! Much smarter choice to make a true wrap - little children don't need back zips in play clothes.

Edris said...

I'm glad to see you figured out how to alter this pattern. I had this one in hand at the last 99 cent sale but put it back when I noticed the back zipper. This is super cute and you did a great job.