Monday, May 27, 2013

Picking a pattern... IMPOSSIBLE.

My nephew's wedding is coming soon (end of June), and I still haven't decided on a dress for myself. I bought some Gorgeous Fabric months ago with a particular plan in mind... but, of course, you know how plans change.

I have 2 yards of crimson dupioni (45" wide) and 2 yards of stunning black lace eyelet (60" wide)
Lightweight Silk Duppioni - Iridescent Crimson

Sold out, long ago folks, sorry. I bought it back in December, knowing that it was unique and awesome and I had to have it. Ann shared this photo of an Oscar De la Renta dress using the same exact fabric.
I'm not a fan of the bow, but like the simple lines of this dress.  Simplicity 1656, which has 3 great views, but a shortened version of view A is quite similar to this. I think I'd use the lace all over though, not just on the bottom.
Strapless can be a pain in the butt though, and I'd get more wear out of a dress with straps... 
Vogue 8556 (shortened) has a lot of potential, and I love the back view.
I'm not a huge fan of the front neckline, as gaping tends to happen with this style.

Vogue 8814 also has my attention, as the "fit & flare" is fun, with a great neckline and open back. I like view B, but shorter.

My concern with this one is my limited amount of lace. I can buy more dupioni, but only have 2 yards of 60" wide lace. Is that enough? Maybe I should only use it on the skirt? And, what's with the front center seam all down the front?  I DON'T KNOW.

I'm actually considering going shopping at the mall, I'm am so undecided and frustrated. I've been working hard at Crossfit for the last 8 weeks, and am quite proud of my newly shaped shoulders and figure. New measurement, too... 36-29-41.

Advice? Opinions? Feedback?  Thanks, ladies!

8 comments:

AllisonC said...

I have a wedding at the end of June too and am in a similar state of indecision. At least you have your fabrics, which are gorgeous. I am guessing that last Vogue 8814 has a bodice on the bias so they put in a cf seam? With your new shape (congratulations on your hard work!) I think a trip to the mall to try on as many different styles as you can bear might help you decide.

Cath said...

To be more frugal with the lace, and also, I think more classy, I would put the lace on the bodice and let the beautiful silk flow freely at the skirt. (Also, sitting on lace I find to be "bumpy" and potentially hazardous - there is always something that I sit on that catches and snags!).

Irene said...

You're going to get so many opinions - you'll only be more confused. Having said those words of wisdom... I like your first option with lace on the bottom. You can add straps to any strapless design - just sew tubes of whatever width you desire and sew them in (trying on first, obviously, to find the perfect placement, of course).

Unknown said...

What's nice though is the input that's been shared have been details that I haven't considered, like trying styles on at the mall and sitting on bumpy lace. I'm leaning towards the Simplicity, too!

Mariela Alethia said...

Lace is such a beautiful fabric. I think the fabric calls for a garment with simple design lines.

KathleenS said...

I vote for the Simplicity. I think it will really suit your fabric, and strapless will show off your shoulders. (With straps may be more wearable, but I think silk-and-lace is limited-occasion wear already). I would have said that silk dupioni isn't drapey enough for V8814 and possibly not the bias skirt of the other Vogue either. And not sure about the effect of the lace with the ruching of 8556.

Bunny said...

Go to the mall! Take a few hours to actually try things on, not just peruse the racks. This leads to some great surprises as well as bubbles burst. Styles you never would consider, wow, they really look good. And the old standbys you think are your ticket to glama can dissapoint. So have a spree trying on lots, particularly the most expensive garments you can find. Once educated, re look at your patterns and fabric. You may be in for a surprise. I sure wish I could go with you. It would be a ball!

FWIW, I am finding I am sewing with strictly Vogue and Simplicity. I don't know why the other two never appeal to me. Hmmm....

Janet said...

I would go with the Simplicity.

Since you aren't sure, I'd follow Bunny's advice and try out some dresses at the mall, all sorts of "not in my budget" dresses.